Week 14

We got the entire class time to work on our final prototypes. It wasn’t too hard as we had already made a prototype using paper and had to just translate it onto metal.

 

Advertisements

Week 13

We got our prototypes approved by ma’am and used to rest of the time to improve on it using the feedback given to us. We were told to make it a little more aesthetic and to finalise on the material for the final model. We choose metal sheet for the final prototype as we felt that it’d be the perfect amount of sturdy and also easy to work with.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 11

We spent the entire day working on our prototypes. I couldn’t attend the first half as I was not feeling well but did my best to catch up during the second half. We managed to make two models before the class ended. The rest of it was to be done as homework. While making the model we realised that there were quite a few thing we hadn’t a coated for and made sure to note down the corrections.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 10

We were given time to start designing our prototypes. We came up with three different iterations of the design for our grip (fugdi). It took us almost the entire class time to do this. We got out ideas verified by the end of class and were then told to start making 3D prototypes using paper to begin with. We didn’t have enough time to start working on the 3D model but we discussed the idea a little more in detail to make the process of making the model easier.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 9

We were briefed on our second and final project for the semester.The basic idea of the project was to choose a portion with a minimum of one contact point and make a wearable that is either aiding or repelling the action. This was also a project that was to be done in pairs. Once we had chosen our partners we had to come up with ten different position to make wearables for. It took me a while to understand the entire concept of wearable sculptures. I found the entire idea behind these products to be very interesting. It made me want to research more about these products and left me excited.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 8

I used all the spare time I got during the week to complete my final hand model. I decided to use wood as I found it to be sturdy and felt that a slightly more rigid material would bring out the nature if ┬áthe grip (grip – tea cup). I cut out and softened a the edges of the pieces and stuck it using hinges. The model I made was fully moveable which came in handy while demonstrating the different position the hand takes from holding ┬áthe cup to lifting it off the ground. We had to present our models in front of the entire class and also give feedback on other models. after having heard the feed back given to my classmates I got an idea as to how I could’ve improved mine even before it was my turn to present. As I had expected, my feedback was mostly based on my abstraction. I too felt that I could’ve abstracted my grip in a better way and given it more thought. All the other models I got to see helped me in realising how different each idea was and the thought behind each pf the grips. Overall I enjoyed the project very much. From making simple prototypes to the final model, it all taught me a lot and was a lot of fun.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 7

Those of us who weren’t done with six different prototypes took some time to complete it. As I had finished all my models during the week I got it reviewed and started making the final sketch for the grip. I had the draw the grip live size on paper with all the measurements, length width etc of the hand. I also had to decide upon the material that I wanted to use that is sturdy and something that I can use for a final model that gives it a good finishing touch.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 6

The entire class time was spent on making prototypes of the grip we had chosen using different materials. We had to abstract out grips and make live size prototypes of it. Each model took almost a little over an hour. Thinking of different materials that can be used and abstracting the grip took a considerable amount of time too. Deciding what the important shapes and lines are in the sketch and eliminating the rest was a little hard and every shape seemed as important as the other. I finally managed to come up with a decent abstraction which I then used to create the basic prototypes. I managed to complete two prototypes in clay, one using wire and the other using thermocol.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 5

We took the first half of class to paint the image we traced in the previous class. We had to use black ink and paint alternate shapes with it. It felt good handling a paint brush after a pretty long break. Once we were done with that we got our work reviewed by ma’am. She went through all out hand grips and work we had done over the past 5 weeks and marked us based on it. We also finalised the grip we’ll be doing for out final 3D model. After having finalised the grip, we had to make detailed sketches of it from different angles so as to get an idea of how the 3D model should be.